Subject: Re: an update from jms
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 03:22:02 +0000 (UTC)
From: jmsatb5@aol.com
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated

Andrew Swallow wrote:
> jmsatb5@aol.com wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > The very first book will have the Gathering script, plus 5 additional
> > scripts (to make up the 7 hours of material) BUT...and this is the cool
> > part...the script of the Gathering included in this volume will be one
> > that has NEVER BEEN OFFICIALLY RELEASED BEFORE.
> >
> > See, when we went to sell Babylon 5, I wrote a pilot screenplay to take
> > around.  When we made the deal, the notes process began...and the
> > script went through considerable changes.  But this is the ORIGINAL
> > draft, the one only seen by the studio and the other producers on the
> > show.
> >
> > What's different?  How about Garibaldi trying to get hold of his dying
> > father back on Mars...how about a shape-shifter instead of a Minbari
> > assassin with a changeling net...Londo as a part-time pick-pocket...Dr.
> > Chakri Mendak instead of Dr. Kyle...new scenes between Lyta and Laurel,
> > Delenn and others that were later cut...a LOT more character scenes
> > with Sinclair and Garibaldi...a discovery about Delenn's lifestone and
> > what that means to the Minbari...where Sinclair is NOT put on trial,
> > but finds a whole different and more interesting way to solve the
> > mystery of Kosh's assailant...and the introduction of Kosh's life-mate,
> > Velana, who plays a very important role in the script.  (Didn't know
> > Vorlons had life-mates, did you?)
> >
> > This script is HUGELY different from the one we filmed -- funnier in
> > places, with more character moments -- and it has been kept under lock
> > and key all this time.  Now, for the first time, it will be officially
> > released in the first volume of this set.
>
> What are the rules about the actors doing the deleted scenes at conventions?

None.

One thing...just to reinforce, these are just my own scripts.  Under
the WGA Separation of Rights provision, I own the copies of my own
scripts but not those of other writers.  So I can only do this with my
own; going out and making separate deals with everybody else would be a
major pain in the butt just given the logistics.

jms