Subject: Re: ATTN: JMS: The Siegels' Suit over Superman
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 00:13:31 +0000 (UTC)
From: jmsatb5@aol.com
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated

"As a creator, a comics writer, and as a Superman fan, what's your take
on the case?"

There's the law and there's what's right, and sometimes they're on the
same side of the table, and sometimes they ain't.  When S&S signed with
DC, the terms were what they were...and they got bupkis.  But since
then Superman has become so massive a commodity that sharing some of
that with the folks who created it is the fair and right thing to do.

In terms of the present suit, I don't know all the details, so take my
opinion with a grain of salt...but as I understand it, the suit isn't
over Superman but rather over Superboy, that when he was created (to
keep a lock on all things Super) a different rights deal was made that
has now, in their view, expired, and they want a different piece of the
pie.  At least, that's my understanding of it, but I haven't read the
briefs.

But in general, I always stand foursquare for those who created
something getting a fair share of it...as one might well expect.

jms