Subject: Re: So, I'm thinking about buying a lap-top
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 05:47:32 +0000 (UTC)
From: jmsatb5@aol.com (Jms at B5)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated

I've always told everyone the same thing: if you want to get a solid computer
with no hassles, solid tech support, that will keep going until the sun goes
nova...go Dell.

I've been buying nothing but Dells (with a few exceptions I'll note in a
moment) since 1992, and in all that time, I've had only ONE problem with one
system, where the floppy disk wouldn't recognize itself.  They had a guy out
the next day, popped in a new one, that was it.

I do go through them for upgrades and because I just beat the shit ouf of my
computers, but never because of any problem with the system itself.  They also
have some of the best prices on the market.

The only exceptions were a Sony laptop I got just to try it (sucked), and a
Fujitsu laptop I bought because I wanted something ultra-light (mostly sucked).
 It's been my experience that Sony desktops are okay, but the laptops are just
awful.

Dell laptops have been a bit on the bulky side, but they're trimming them back
a lot lately.  So if I were to suggest one, I'd recommend a Dell.  I've
suggested them to other friends, and in every case it's worked out to their
benefit.