JMS on Usenet

Subject: Re: Attn JMS: Perhaps before asked question about writing
Date: 04 May 2003 05:21:15 GMT
From: (Jms at B5)

>When you are writing a scene down, do you visualise it in your mind: before,
>during or after?

I'm a big believer in what Mark Twain once should never begin
writing something until you have finished it to your satisfaction.

When I start a scene, I don't type a word.  I play it through my head from
beginning to end, over and over, until I know exactly what happens, how I get
into it, how I get out of it, and what happens in between.  Once I can see it
as a whole, *then* I begin writing.

So if you were to poke your head in my office, if I'm not typing, what you'd
probably see is this: me in my desk chair, halfway reclined, eyes closed, one
hand over my eyes, playing the scene over and over in my head like a
mini-movie, seeing it behind closed eyes.

People without tact assume that I'm sleeping, but I'm not, dammit, I'm not....

and don't send me story ideas)