Subject: Re: ATTN JMS: Gratuitous Sex and Violence?
Date: 18 Apr 2002 05:17:28 GMT
From: jmsatb5@aol.com (Jms at B5)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated

>However, it's been said
>on one of the mailing lists that certain scenes are being reshot, with
>less sex and and violence, to be used in syndication. Obviously, you
>wouldn't be able to syndicate the show without some editing; but, if
>you are actively refilming scenes with tamer content, wouldn't that
>suggest that the a lot of what we're seeing is gratuitous?

If that's what's been said then what's been said is erroneous.

We shoot both a syndication version and a pay cable version simultaneously,
there are no reshoots after the fact, though some audio dubbing does happen in
post.

Every movie and TV series does this to ensure the life of the series in
domestic on-air syndication.  No one makes a big budget movie or series without
making an alternate version available.  It's just pro forma.