Subject: Re: B5 Bootleg Ethics...
Date: 21 Apr 2001 20:59:46 -0700
From: jmsatb5@aol.com (Jms at B5)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated

>The law does not regard unauthorized copying as theft.  It is in many
>cases illegal, but that doesn't make it theft.  There are lots of
>illegal actions that are not theft.  Thus, the law does not suffer
>from this particular flaw.

I'd like to know where you found this, because as I read copyright law, this is
also covered by the term "theft of intellectual property."

And I'd love to see you make the argument to a cop, "Well, no, what I was doing
wasn't THEFT, it was just ILLEGAL, so that's okay."  Any judge in any court in
the country would laugh you out of the box.  >> For some reason, some people
seem to disregard the rights of artists
>> completely.
>
>Among these, the people who created the US constitution.  Copyright
>law in the US exists to promote the progress of arts and science, not
>to protect the rights of the artists.

Not true.  Writers and artists have fought for ages to maintain and enhance
copyright laws for their protection.  One of the foremost figures was Mark
Twain, who was in a constant battle to ensure that the copyright laws were
adhered to and expanded to protect his works.  (Among his best quotes, "Any
time a copyright law is to be made or revised, the idiots assemble.")

The sole means by which a writer can make money from his work is by protecting
the use thereof.  This is part of the big battle on the net...creative works
are not "data" to be freely transmitted, they are the property of the person
who created it.

You are not entitled to copy it for sale or distribution to others.  Period.